There’s been a little gap between posts. School got heavy pretty quick, my herniated disk has decided to rear its stupid head, and I have been miserable!! It’s OK, I’m carrying on.
There has been a little silver in the lining of my gloomy cloud. My Father and Mother-in-law dropped in for a visit, bearing gifts of groceries and good company. They are awesome people. Hands down, no joke! Silver lining beginning to form…
We have been doing little things around the house to freshen things up. Last post was about painting shudders. We took them from drab to cheery, in one afternoon! Well, my back drama put a little speed bump in our progress. So, this weekend, Husby and FIL did a little sumfin’ sumfin’.
Yesir, that is a chartreuse colored font door! Actually, the color is called “Carolina Parakeet” by Behr paints. It was a little much at first; but when they added the screen door…magic!
I love how the screen door makes the front walkway look a little more “finished”. The best part is that I didn’t lift a finger…well, maybe to direct the whole process.
Next up is painting the steps. I haven’t really decided what color. Probably something closer to slate or stone. We also have our hearts set on a new mailbox. Like this one:This doormat…
A small outdoor rug for the front stoop:
And this Unicorn Duet door knocker…I’d like it in white.
We also are in the hunt for some cool house numbers. Like these:
Posted by twentyhappyfeet on September 5, 2011
We have lived in our house for 5 years. It’s a great house. It’s tiny. It’s perfect for our somewhat tiny family. We have an awesome yard with stone patio and firepit. We spend tons of hours out back.
The front…not so cute. When the house was renovated, the seller used the most basic materials. Insert basic black, vinyl shudders and beige siding. Yuck! We love our house, I hate the exterior.
I have been entertaining the idea of painting those cheap-o shudders. Some folks say “No, don’t-it doesn’t work!”. Others say, “Maybe?”. I said, “What the hell, it’s ugly already!” So, we went for it.
We started by removing the shudders. NOT easy! They were anchored into the siding by these giant plastic plugs! Next, we pressure washed the green residue and buildup off of the entire house. Easy.
*see those ugly black shudders
We scrubbed the shudders with regular dish detergent, and dried them in the sun. The shudders were then painted with some leftover, interior latex paint. I’m probably going to shoot myself later for using this paint; but it seemed pretty well stuck. Oh yeah, two coats of paint did the trick. Finally, we hung the shudders using deck screws, just flush- so as to not create a pucker in the shudders.
The new color totally brightens the house!! It’s beginning to look like a little cottage.
Our next project is painting the front door. I’m thinking bright to medium violet or lime green.
Posted by twentyhappyfeet on August 29, 2011